Building Heaven on Earth

Building Heaven on Earth

Monday, May 30, 2011

Baby Shower

After having three sons there is something extra special and exciting preparing for a little girl. It has been great putting the boy clothes in storage. I've enjoyed taking out the stroller, bouncer, exer-saucer, etc, and washing all the fabric. I love feeling the kicks, hiccups and movement of this little angel. I feel so grateful that for the first time all of our baby things fit somewhere without taking up all walking space. I am really enjoying the three and a half year gap between this baby and the last. It will be a little easier to hold and enjoy this soon-to-be addition to my already incredible family.
That being said, it felt extra special to have a baby shower this last Saturday. But before I go into great detail let me give a special shout out to my sisters, Laura and Kari, as well as my cousin (in-law), Katie. They threw me a shower when we went to CA for Kari's wedding. It was so much fun and I felt so loved and so special. They really went out of their way to fit a celebration for me and my wee little one in the midst of an insane week- preparing for Kari's wedding. My Aunt Charlene, my cousin Megan, and my newest cousin-in-law Ritz, also surprised me with their beautiful gifts and overwhelming kindness. I was pretty nervous about having a BBQ party (which was so incredibly TASTY) because I haven't lived in CA for so long that most of my friends have moved out. But it was fun to be surrounded by familiar faces (including LOUD ROB) and just an overall atmosphere of friendship and kinship. It was just perfect.
So, :), this last weekend I had a baby shower hosted by my friends April and Camille. Being our first home and our first real feeling of permanency, I think it lends itself to feeling like these friends are an extension of my family. My home away from home, and it's pretty incredible.
I was so afraid of having a shower and not having anyone there. I've moved so many times that I've made a lot of acquaintances, but very few true friends. (Though, my true friends of old, you know who you are, and I'm grateful I had and still have you to call friends.) Here in Aubrey, though, I've realized that I have more friends than I know what to do with. It's a new and very incredible feeling. And they're all girls!
So we had plenty of people there, plenty of food, and plenty of presents. Most were church friends, but it was also cool to have PTA, Karate, and neighbors represented. The more people I meet outside of church the more I realize how many great people there are out in the world. I love finding those great people and having their spirits a part of my life.
The food- oh the food- all I can say is thank you. This prego-mom enjoys good food these days, and there was plenty to be had. Plus, good good beverages. Italian sodas. Count me spoiled.
And now it's time for the presents. OH MY LITTLE GIRL CLOTHES ARE ALMOST TOO MUCH FOR ME TO HANDLE! Friends were teasing me because I kept laying the clothes across my belly like I was trying it on. I also made dresses twirl, squealed at ruffles on bums, and giggled for joy. I was overwhelmed by so much cuteness. Loveliness. Beauty. Darling tiny things.
It was so emotionally exhausting to be surrounded by so many wonderful things.
Thank you my friends for spoiling me, making me feel special, and sharing in the excitement of a girl.
She is going to irrevocably change the dynamic of this family and I can't wait.

No comments: