Building Heaven on Earth

Building Heaven on Earth

Monday, January 24, 2011

Proud of my kids

Though the past three days has been incredibly stressful to me, I'm very impressed by my children. First I'll give a shout out to Blake who is growing up so quickly, potty training like a pro. Accidents are becoming very few and far between.
Peter and Andrew wanted to be a part of the Science Fair this year. It's very hard to help a kindergartner and a 2nd grader do a science project. I guess I could have made it easier by doing more myself, but I really tried hard to have my kids do as much as possible. As a result, Andrew's project was a complete failure. I was initially a bit disappointed, but then I thought, "Why does he have to have a successful science project?" The kid thought up something he was interested in (volcanoes and lava) and ended up with a question, a hypothesis, an idea to test it, and well, a lot of ingested chocolate. He wanted to explore why volcano rocks have holes. We talked about maybe since the lava cools so quickly, when gas bubbles pop it'll cool before it fills in the gap. So he thought of something similar to lava- chocolate. We melted it then poured it into three cups. One went in the fridge, one in the freezer, and one on the counter. We ended up with no bubbles. So we talked about how the cooling may have a lot to do with the lava rock holes but that chocolate doesn't have gas like lava does. We tried blowing bubbles into the melted chocolate before cooling, but still no bubbles. Oh well. He learned a lot about lava and lava rock and also, more importantly, learned that it's a good thing to always ask questions.
Peter studied static electricity. He found an experiment online and pretty much used that. But it was just really good practice to try to critically think not just about what was happening but why it was happening and how it matters. He also got to cut up a box, which is one of his favorite things to do.
I am so proud that my kids were so excited to be little scientists. I'm proud of their questioning skills. I'm happy that they put up with my stressful attitude by the end of tonight and ended their preparations being very pleased with their efforts.
Hooray for children.
Now I need a nap for the next twenty hours.

3 comments:

Rachey said...

Sounds fun, and good for you for letting them do it on their own. Do you know what you are having yet?

The Larsens said...

I don't know yet. I think I find out on Monday. If so, I'll post on FB the color associated to that gender and see how long it takes for people to get it.

The Larsens said...

It's a girl! Or so they say. :) I'm working hard on believing it. I'm in a bit of denial.