Building Heaven on Earth

Building Heaven on Earth

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Randall and I have been discussing why New Year is such a big deal. To me, New Years is similar to Easter. Easter is about rebirth, renewal. New Years has that same basic feel. Yes, Easter is much more than that, but just go with me on this one.
To me New Years is a second chance. Every night that you go to bed, especially if it's a hard day, you think, "There's always tomorrow." There is something about going to bed at night and waking up the next morning, giving yourself another chance at a better day.
A stronger sensation occurs on your birthday. That morning you awake officially another year older. It brings with it a feeling of starting again. You feel that change is possible.
In a world that is ever fluctuating, full of surprises, unknown, I feel it is a necessary human reaction to constantly need the feeling that you can start again. It's like repentance in action every day. We often have feelings of regret and disappointment. To handle that, we continually need to feel that those negative things do not continue to compound on one another. We can clear our plate, so to speak, and have courage in what has yet to come.
Then there is New Years. I think the beginning of the year brings these feelings more powerfully to mankind than any other celebration. It is a time of reflection. It is a time of remembrance. It is a time of regrets. Then it is a time of promise. A time of renewal, rebirth, re commitment. We can look in the mirror and say to ourselves with honesty, "I did these things right. I did these things wrong. This year I'm going to be better."
My New Years Resolutions this year are to 1. Attend the Temple regularly with my spouse. 2. Build my piano studio.
We have to be careful when we plan our resolutions. There are way more than two things I can work on! But I need to be realistic. I need to pick things that I am willing to work on.
And where there is a will, there is a way. But that way needs to be clear.
Too many times we make resolutions without a plan. For Family Home Evening we talked about how to obtain our goals. In order to reach a goal we need to make a plan. What things must be in place? Do we need outside help? Is there money involved? Etc etc. Then there needs to be mini-goals. I like to think of them as either stair steps or stepping stones. The only way to get to the end is to take each step along the way. So, what are those steps? You need to know them. An finally a goal takes time and patience. Most goals do not happen instantaneously. If your goal is to loose thirty pounds and tone up your muscles, you won't get there in a week. And that. is. okay.
This year I hope you all feel the power a new year can bring. I hope it feels you with hope, charity, compassion, and strength. You don't have to be perfect. You just need to keep trying. To give up on yourself is the greatest tragedy. So, take advantage and take the reins. Good luck with 2011. No matter what life brings, let's do our best.
One of my favorite scriptures. Jacob 6:12 O be awise; what can I say more?

1 comment:

Jess said...

Yes, yes and yes! It was so good to see you! How is the hula-ing coming? You look great!