Building Heaven on Earth

Building Heaven on Earth

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Saturday isn't such a special day

Well, unless your only criteria for Saturday is that it is the day you get ready for Sunday. I guess then that Saturday is a special day. But at our home it doesn't seem much too different than the school week. Randall works on Saturdays. He does get Mondays off, and not to be a compainer, but it just isn't the same. I have to watch the kids all Saturday long- alone. And, as a bonus, Peter doesn't have school, so I really have to watch all the kids all day long- alone. I know, I know, I should be grateful that I "get to" "play with" the kids All! Day! Long! See, when you look at it like that, then it seems a lot more exciting. So maybe I just need an attitude adjustment. But then I could say that about everything. The boys think Saturday is extroardinary. They get to watch Saturday Morning Cartoons. And, well, that pretty much means they watch Tom an Jerry for and hour... it's pretty freakin' sweet. But then what? I have no money to go somewhere with them. And having three makes it rather impossible to take them by myself to a public place. Most neighboors around here go places each Saturday so there are no kids to play with.
So, what it comes down to... which is generally the conclusion most moms come to... is that I have the wrong attitude and I need to do something different so that Saturday is a special day with me and my boys. Yah. *sigh* why can't I just be 14 again... I had so much energy and such a drive to run and jump and skip and hop and spin and spin and spin around. Now I'm tired and probably lazy and I just don't feel like playing Hi Ho Cherry-O again. And since Monday is a school day it just seems like the other days of the week except that I see Randall around the house while I take care of the kids. I see him on the computer. I see him taking care of his truck. I see him working on the yard. I see him watching Price is Right. So I guess I feel like him having Monday off is much like him not having a day off. And I know he really dislikes having Monday instead of Saturday off as well. Especially since Peter is in school.
Hey so on a good note (because I could keep talking about this but I think you've had enough) I have 13 piano students now. Maybe I could just teach piano for a living and Randall could stay home. Muah! I got my very first pair of glasses, which, yes, I do consider that a "good note". Though it drives me a bit crazy, it is nice to see the world more crisp. Like my computer screen. Peter loves school and is making some great friends. Andrew is pretty hilarious. And Blake makes gutteral "uh-huh" sounds when I'm nursing him and I say it to him. It's awesome because he won't do it when we're not nursing. Silly kid. Oh and his hair is coming in and is this beautiful strawberry blond. Our bedroom is lookin wicked cool because we moved our theater stuff into it as well as the computer. I took Peter to get his foot fitted for his tap shoes. During the week I wake up at 5:30 so I can get ready and read my scriptures before the boys get up at 7. And I get to go shopping for piano books today! I love the piano store. LOVE IT! Though, having to take the boys there by myself is very dangerous to the instruments and books an very stressful to me... and we've gone full circle. Maybe I'll wait until Monday...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara, I feel your pain. Now that David is a pharmacist he works every other weekend and 12 hours on Monday with Fridays off. So on Sundays, like today, when David is not there, I have to haul the kids to church, by myself, and chase Kennedy down the isles and threaten Alex that he better stop being loud. Today I had to ask some ramdom girl in the hall to watch my kids while I set up our Super Saturday table, and then bribe the men in the nursury to watch Kennedy for me while I made announcements in the library! I sucks being by yourself!!!

Mike and Ashley said...

No fun, no fun! Things are definitely hard when you husband has an off schedule. Luckily you have a backyard, right? Days like that I am not opposed to whipping out an afternoon movie just to get through the day!

Happy Family said...

Hi! I found your blog from Jason's.

I can totally sympathize with you on raising three boys! And, having a hubby with a crazy schedule.

I have found that breaking up the day with the kids makes it easier. I always have to include me time too!

I switch up where in (or out) the house they/we play. I switch up independent play and mommy time with them. I also have them play by my side in my office for an hour while I work read or write. Then, I put a movie of for them and get an hour 1/2 break.

We need to switch rooms and activities to prevent boredom!

Some things you can do on Saturday to make it a special day:

Cook with the kids
Save special toys like playdough etc... for saturday only
Fill up a bunch of water buckets outside and toss in some plastic kitchen utensils and let the 2 older boys have water play
Take a nature walk around the block
Go to a dollar store and let the older boys buy 1 thing
Picnic at a park or in the back yard


If you can get out of the house there are a lot of inexpensive things to do around town. More than you may realize. Do a google search on your city and surrounding cities. Look on travel sites etc... Pretend you are vacationing to the area and research everything there is to do. I did a quick search of my own and I could not believe the cool things I found near you. You have some awesome state parks, some cheap museums, and city activities that cost nothing.

Try not to plan tons of things that will just overwhelm you. Just plan 1 outing a month that will last a few hours. On the other days plan 2 special activities with the boys-one you do with them and 1 they do on their own.

Schedule play dates with other moms in the ward if you can. Take turns going to each other's houses to switch it up. It is nice to have other moms to chat with while the kids play.

Some days I just call a friend of mine and ask if we can come use their pool or just come hang out. My boys have a blast playing with her little girl who is 2 years younger than the boys!

Getting out of the house with three kids is a huge challange. Especially with a young one. Go out for short periods of a time. 1 hour at a time. Slowly increase the time as you adjust and as the boys adjust to the new rules of public places. (my boys had to learn real well that they needed to stay near my side)

I used to be terrified to go out on my own. Now, I take the boys to museums by myself and stay out all day. Some days don't work as I planned and we come home in an hour!

It does not take a lot to make Saturday a special day for kids. They get excited over simple things. I am so sorry that dear hubby has to miss out on that day when all the kids are home. Having mondays's off instead is a huge bummer. Especially when on of your boys is in school.

He can make Monday special for Peter if he is able to take him to school and pick him up. (Just daddy and Peter) Maybe when he picks Peter up he can take him to Mcdonalds for small treat. It would be a special Monday tradition for daddy and Peter.

Sorry that turned out to be sooo long! Just thought I would share some ideas from one crazy (full of boys) household to another.