Building Heaven on Earth

Building Heaven on Earth

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

To Gym or Not to Gym


That is the question. What is the question? That is. That! Right there, in the title. Geeze.
So here's my deal. I now live 18 miles to the nearest LA Fitness- about a 25 minute drive. I teach two Aquafit classes a week ( Wed and Sat mornings). I get paid 14.00 a class.
Is it worth it?
I don't ever get to workout at the gym because I live so far away and cannot afford the gas money to drive there and back every day.
Is it worth it?
I love teaching my classes.
Is it worth it?
I cannot seem to go a week without some sort of drama where I feel like I'm going to get fired.
Is it worth it?
I continually get calls to substitute classes that are 45-60 minutes from me, which I repeatedly turn down, which makes me feel guilty and upset that they would even ask.
I've been reprimanded in front of my class by a General Manager because I upheld an LA Fitness policy that made a member upset.
Is it worth it?
It seems the only good thing about working for the gym is teaching my class and every other element is stressful, upsetting, and down right just sucky. Every moment that I'm not in class I think about quitting. Every moment I'm teaching a class and talking to members I cannot imagine giving it up. I was threatened to be fired by the Class Coordinator over the DFW area if I didn't teach more than one class while I was going through my move. Before my move I had previously had a great track record of having many classes, subbing very often, and just being a great team player. The second I have to back off and do something for myself I am mistreated and accused of only working there for the "perks"- $14 a class and a free membership worth $20. Need I mention that starting wage at most other gyms are at least ten dollars more per class? And I don't even get to use the gym for my personal workout anymore because I live too far and am just too poor.
Is it worth it?
I love the LA Fitness gym. I love the layout, the facilities, and the classes.
Is it worth it?
I figure I have two options:
1. I can quit.
2. I can start driving to the gym every day and taking advantage of my "perks", loosing money, but at least personally gaining more for the sacrifice of putting up with everyone's crap.
Did I mention that I really do love teaching?
Is it worth it?

P.S. Before you tell me, well Sara why don't you just go work for another gym? let me tell you that I did a miserable audition for 24 Hr Fitness, failed miserably, and refuse to do it again. I don't like the facility in my area (even though it's only a few years old), and their kids club policy of allowing only one parent to check kids in at a time creates a huge line that would necessitate me getting there very early just to teach and I think that's dumb. I know, there are smaller gyms. My Dad googled gyms in my area, thanks Dad. And I've thought about certifying as a Personal Trainer. I can teach classes out of my neighborhood, even... probably. But that doesn't fix my problem with what to do about LA Fitness.

2 comments:

Rachey said...

Sounds like a toxic relationship that should be terminated. That's just my opinion of course, so don't put too much stock in it.

AJ said...

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep searching for another gym job closer to home and one you can be happy with. In the meantime, tough it out with LA Fitness and try to maintain the best attitude you can about it.